Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Student Leadership Advisory Board Spotlight: Meheret Kinfe, UVA '18

Meheret Kinfe is a 4th year pre-medical student in the College majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Social Entrepreneurship. She is the founder of the Virginia Alpha PhiDE Chapter and a member of the Pre-Health Student Leadership Advisory Board.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is neuroradiology? 
I started shadowing in the UVA Neuroradiology department at the start of my fourth year. Neuroradiology is a branch of medicine focused on analyzing diagnostic images of the central and peripheral nervous system, spine, head, and neck. THe main imaging techniques used are MRI and CT scans. In order to be a Neuroradiologist, one has to go through 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency training in radiology and then a 1 - 2 year Neuroradiology fellowship.

What made you decide to engage in this clinical opportunity? 
After shadowing a Pediatric Epileptologist, a Neurologist who focuses on epilepsy cases, I want to gain more exposure to diagnostic imaging. I knew radiology would be a very different experience because it doesn't involve interacting with patients all the time, but I was willing to experience something new. I'm glad I sought this opportunity because it allows me to see another side. I was first on the side that requests the diagnostic images, and now I'm on the side that interprets them.

How did you get involved in this shadowing opportunity? 
I went online and looked up UVA Neuroradiology faculty and I read about each physician including their schooling, their research focus, their specializations, and awards. It's difficult to find emails of physicians online so I used UVA People Search by typing in their names to find their emails. I made a draft email expressing my relevant experiences and why I'm interested in Neuroradiology and then I personalized it to each physician as necessary depending on special focuses or skills. Over the years, I've realized that physicians don't have much time to read long emails so it's important to be succinct and attach a resume so they can efficient get a glimpse of who you are.
PROTIP: Additional tips & strategies to seek a shadowing opportunity

What did your experience in this position consist of? Can you describe a typical day? 
Shadowing in radiology is very different than the typical experience of shadowing a physician because I hardly see patients. I mostly stay in the physician's office or go in the reading room to observe her and other fellows and residents interpreting images. If it's with Dr. Matsumoto, I sit down and talk with her as we analyze the images, but if it's with other fellows and residents I typically watch as they discuss their findings with an attending. For example, we've had to analyze many stroke and epilepsy cases. This opportunity not only allowed me to better understand the brain anatomy and physiology, but has also given me an opportunity learn from residents and fellows about their experiences in their respective positions.

Why would you recommend this opportunity to other pre-medical students? 
Shadowing in general is an important opportunity for pre-medical students because it allows them to experience the daily life of a physician. It's an opportunity to learn hospital dynamics, doctor-patient relationships, inter-professional collaboration, and the demands of specific specialties. I'm glad I got involved in more than one shadowing opportunity during my undergraduate years because I"ve been able to observe and better understand both Neurology and Radiology.

Is there anything else you would like to share? 
I also believe it's a good idea to shadow in specialties that have very different demands and expectations. For example, after shadowing in both a primary care setting and in radiology, I"ve come to realize I much prefer interacting with patients instead of spending most of my time looking at screens and analyzing images. This however, does not mean I've lost interest in radiology because through this experience I've learned there is a specialization within radiology called Interventional Radiology that gives you an opportunity to interact with patients and perform minimally invasive procedures like removing an aneurysm using imaging guidance. All things considered, make sure to keep an open mind and gain exposure to as much as possible because you have plenty of time before settling on a specialty!