Still seeking one more course for your fall schedule?
"Liberal Arts and the Health Professions" is a new 1-credit course that introduces 2nd and 3rd year UVA students to diverse health professions while engaging in a career exploration process. Students explore how insights from various disciplines inform their understanding of healthcare. Guest lectures and informational interviews connect students with healthcare professionals to gain a better understanding of the various health professions and to assess their own career goals. Students develop skills in interdisciplinary research and problem solving, in oral and written communication, and the integration of diverse perspectives.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and assess a wide range of careers in healthcare
- Assess personal values, interests, and skills
- Apply research and interviewing skills to support career exploration and fit
- Articulate the value of team-based healthcare
- Demonstrate the personal and ethical significance of cultural competency in the healthcare industry
- Evaluated health professions against personal career goals
- Create a personal healthcare philosophy, based on knowledge gained in the class.