2016 Summer Medical and Dental Education Program Applications are Now Open!
The SMDEP program offers students a variety of academic and career experiences that will support their dental and medical school career preparation.
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics
- Learning-Skills Development-including study skills and methods of individual and group learning
- Clinical exposure through small-group clinical rotations and full-group clinician seminars. This is limited to 5% of program time for all the sites
- Career development, including the exploration of the medical and dental careers, other health professions and an individualized education plan to identify other appropriate enrichment activities
- Financial planning workshop and health policy seminars
All the housing costs and most meals are covered by the program. Scholars are provided with a $600 stipend which is typically distributed at the midway and at the end of the program. Some program sites offer travel assistance awards. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation also provides a needs-based scholarship for travel to and from the program site.
For further details and application, see smdep.org/apply-to-smdep/