Monday, March 16, 2015

Student Success Story - Alicia Muratore UVa '14






What led to your interest in medicine?
My interest in medicine began with a childhood curiosity. I told others of my interests and ambitions and they encouraged me to further explore them. Starting in seventh grade, I began shadowing doctors in order to observe the day-to-day experiences of a physician. Additionally, I began to seek more ways to learn about the field such as volunteering in the hospital, speaking with physicians, and researching the professions. This led me to volunteer experience at a local hospital. Through these experiences, I learned that serving the community as a physician was the path for me.

Who or what inspired you to pursue medicine?
I was inspired to pursue medicine by the physicians I shadowed. Seeing how they were able to help their patients motivated me to want to do the same.

In addition, volunteering as an undergraduate at the UVA Medical Center in the Family Medicine and Acute Pediatrics Units inspired me to continue to pursue medicine. During my time in the Acute Pediatrics unit, volunteering taught me the importance of taking time for quality interactions. I did not have to do "something big" to make a difference. Although I was not the physician treating the child, I left the Pediatric Unit knowing that I did make a difference in a child's life.

What did you major in and what inspired you to choose this/these area(s) of study?
I majored in Biology. I decided to pursue a degree in biology, because I found the classes and topics intriguing. In addition, the setup of the major allowed room for me to take classes in a variety of fields that I found interesting, ranging from sociology, to anthropology, to ethics. 

What activities did you participate in at U.Va?
At UVA, I served as a Student Study Coordinator at a Radiology Research lab through the UVA Hospital. In addition, I volunteered through Madison House in the Family Medicine and Acute Pediatrics Centers. I was on the executive committee of the Women’s Leadership Development Program. I was as a Resident Advisor during my second year. I was also in Alpha Chi Omega and served as Vice President of Risk Management.

How did you prepare for the medical school application process?
I looked up different requirements through both UVA’s Health Profession Advising Website and the AAMC Website. These resources gave me the general idea of how the process worked. The most help I received in preparation was from speaking directly with people. I talked to many upperclassmen about their experiences to get an idea of how the process actually looked. In addition, I met frequently with the Health Profession Advisors to get a more detailed idea of how the process would work and how best to prepare for it. 


What resources did you utilize, if any, from health professions advising that was helpful to you in the application preparation/process?
During my time at UVA, I utilized many resources from Health Professions Advising. I frequently attended drop-in hours at Monroe Hall. In addition, I made appointments with the advisors when I had concerns or questions that I knew would take longer than the drop-in time allotted. During my third year, I took advantage of the numerous resources they offer for students entering the application cycle. I found the group advising sessions helpful in providing information about the application process as a whole. The most useful resource for me was the mock interview. It provided helpful feedback and helped me to feel comfortable during my actual interviews.

How do/did you balance the demands of medical school with additional obligations and challenges?
I completed all of my primary and a majority of my secondary applications during the summer. Having the essays complete prior to school starting helped significantly. Interviews fell during the school year. I found that if I talked with my professors ahead of time they were very accommodating.

What medical school are you attending and how did you decide to attend this institution?
I am attending Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University (there was a recent name change- it used to be Jefferson Medical College). I truly enjoyed my interview and second look days at Jefferson. When it came time to decide which school I wanted to attend, I picked Jefferson because I felt that the students and faculty created an environment that I would do well in.

What advice do you have for new applicants considering a career in medicine?
Do things because you enjoy doing them, not because you feel like you have to do them. If you are truly passionate about the activities that you are doing, then this will be apparent on your applications and during your interviews.